I practice from a holistic, strengths-based and trauma-informed framework, which is culturally sensitive and honours the inherent wisdom within each child and family. I believe in meeting individuals where they are and helping them feel empowered and have the tools, to make the changes they desire and grow into the person they would like to be. For me it is a sincere privilege and responsibility to do this work that I love, and my greatest teachers continue to be the youth and families with whom I have the great fortune of working.
When working with children and adolescents, a family systems/biopsychosocial approach is always taken and parental guidance is often part of the work. My services include:
- psychological/psychoeducational assessment (including assessment for LD, ADHD)
- individual therapy for children and adolescents (up to 18 years)
- group therapy
- parent consultation
While I am trained in several therapeutic approaches (including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, parent-child attachment therapy, Play Therapy and Emotion Focused Family Therapy), mindfulness informs all of my work. The specific therapeutic approach is always tailored to each client’s unique needs and situation. As a believer in holistic health and the mind-body connection, I integrate evidence-based mindfulness practices when appropriate. I have developed and facilitated mindfulness-based therapeutic groups for children, adolescents and for parents.
I believe in continuous self-reflection and growth and am committed to ongoing learning, development and refining of my skills. I continue to keep myself up-to-date with the latest research and literature in the field, and regularly consult with peers and colleagues, in order to provide the best possible service to clients and families.
Some of my trainings and certifications include:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Connect Parent attachment-training
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Emotion-Focused Family Therapy (EFFT) Core Training
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy training and year-long practicum
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction in Mind-Body medicine
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy workshop with Dr. Zindel Segal
- Motivational Interviewing for adolescents
- Advanced Motivational Interviewing with Dr. William Miller
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training
- Violence, Threat, and Risk Assessment training Level 1
- Aboriginal Cultural Sensitivity training
- First Responder Mental Health cultural competency for Psychologists
- Mental health counselling with Trans and Gender-Diverse Youth and Adults (with Rainbow Health Ontario)
My clinical experience includes working with individuals with varying presenting concerns, including depression and other mood disorders, anxiety disorders, self-harm and suicidality, low self esteem, trauma and abuse, ADHD, learning challenges, oppositional defiance and behavioural concerns, eating disorders, grief and loss, life transitions, stress and burnout, parenting concerns, addictions, relationship concerns, gender and cultural identity issues, and emotion regulation difficulties. Having worked in diverse settings (i.e., schools, hospital outpatient, community mental health, private practice, and a nonprofit social service agency) has given me a strong understanding of how to effectively deliver assessment and treatment and collaborate across systems. Most recently I worked as a Clinical Psychologist at the Victoria Child and Youth Mental Health Team (BC Public Service). I have also worked as a School Psychologist in several school boards in the Greater Toronto Area, most recently the York Catholic District School Board, which has given me a thorough understanding of special education, particularly learning disabilities.
Currently I provide psychological services to children and adolescents through the North Peel Family Health Team and through my private practice at the Cognitive and Interpersonal Therapy Centre. I also provide clinical supervision to Doctoral trainees in Clinical Child Psychology. I am registered in Ontario as a Clinical and School Psychologist. I provide services in English, Hindi and Urdu. Please feel free to connect with me if you are interested in working together for your child/teenager.